New Offerings! by Michelle
New classes added to schedule…
I have some great news. I am going to be offering Flow Yoga on Tuesday and Thursday nights at 7:45 PM. If you enjoyed the power yoga class on Thursday, please come this week and check out flow yoga (it may just surprise you!). Flow yoga is a step above gentle yoga and a step below a power class, some classes may lean toward the gentle side and some toward the power side. I will always give modifications so you can decide if you want a more gentle class or if you want to kick it up a notch. Check out this new offering, what do you have to lose??!!
Last week I talked about tapas, so this week I am going to go back to the beginning and talking about the 8 limbed yogic path. This is a very classical view to yoga which you can read more about in the Yoga Sutras, originally written in Sanskrit by Patanjali. The 8 limbs are as follows:
- Yama – are ethical practices (includes: ahimsa – non-violence, satya – living according to your own truth, asteya – non-stealing, brahmacharya – restraint, aparigraha – non-grasping).
- Niyama – translated to mean self-observances (includes: saucha – cleanliness, santosha – contentment, tapas – disciplined practice, swadhyaya – self-study, and ishwara pranidhana – surrender to the highest).
- Asana – the physical yoga postures that we practice during yoga classes.
- Pranayama – translated as breath work (for example, 3 part breath).
- Pratyahara – to disassociate from the outside world and turn your focus inward.
- Dharana – Concentration on a single point (for example, candle gazing).
- Dhyana – translated as meditation.
- Samadhi – a balanced state of being.
So, why is all of this important? Even though a lot of the background of yoga can appear intimidating and on the heavy side, I believe it is important to sometimes dive a little deeper into our yoga practice and the history of yoga. Why? My view is that there have been so many yogis and yoginis that have gone before us and many of them have gone through the same struggles and obstacles that we have gone though or that we are currently in the process of working through, so why not take advantage of their knowledge to assist us on our journey?! We can pick and choose which ideas and concepts are useful to us at any given time, which resonate with us and feel “right.” Take what you need and leave the rest! It doesn’t have to be a hard task! The material is only as heavy as you make it.
Monday @ 7:45 PM ~ Gentle Yoga
Tuesday @ 7:45 PM ~ Flow Yoga – New Offering!!
Wednesday @ 7:45 PM ~ Gentle Yoga
Thursday @ 7:45 PM ~ Flow Yoga – New Offering!!
Please note: Saturday @ 9:15 AM ~ Power Yoga ~ is with Bette this week!